View Single Post
      03-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #69
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I also have the VPH900 battery. A couple of thoughts -

- VP customer support is fantastic. I had a VPH750 in my E46 M3 and VP recommends the larger VPH900 for the E92. I contacted them to confirm. They offered to upgrade my 750 to the 900 for $200 IIRC. I sent the 750 to them and they added the extra cells / replaced the cover. Then again in May of 2018 Tony with VP upgraded me to their new larger VPH1200. Again, fantastic service. I thought that was really unique as most companies would make you buy a whole new battery. I did have an issue with the battery switch as well. They fixed it with no questions asked. VP is located in CA so the turn around time was minimal.

- It's light, really light and functions just as the factory battery for the most part. I had the car coded for the smaller battery and have had zero issues. It lasts about 2 weeks without use. However I have left it far longer without any problem. The battery shuts itself off with enough juice to start the car on reserve. Turn it back on, fire up the car, and you are good.

- The auto shutoff is a great feature but can be a hassle. It's best to wire a remote switch on cars without a trunk key. You can't get your trunk open if you don't have power! The under hood charge points don't work if the battery is off. That being said, I wired a switch into the passenger compartment and all is well.

- There isn't a mount being produced for the battery. I fabricated one out of aluminum pieces I picked up from Home Depot. It turned out great but not everyone has the ability to do so. The battery is so light that zip-ties would actually be sufficient but I wanted something more robust. My mount utilizes the factory battery fasten points. It added about 1/2 lb to the battery.

- I think the cheaper batteries must be on a charger at all times and have more potential to strand you. Plus, the support is nowhere near VP in my experience. Lastly, it's the lightest thing out there. When you start pricing out options for lightening the car, you will find that it's actually a good value given the amount of weight lost and the minimal effect on the car's functionality.

Pics -

OE Battery Weight (excludes the mount) -

VPH Mount by slicerM, on Flickr

VPH Battery Weight Including Mount -

Mount Pics - Looking at it now, there are many ways in which I could reduce the weight of the mount -

'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 05-15-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 5
TTony271.00
roastbeef11586.00
inTgr8r2431.50
///Mobbin1478.00
tetsuo1111227.00