View Single Post
      07-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #22
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Looking at your site the skill is there for sure. I'd guess location is hard one, lots of potential competition.
One thing I noticed is although you have pictures up and contact info you don't list services.
If you want to stay in photography you might need to branch out, try your hand in automotive stuff.
Most the photographers I know still do the glamour shot to stuff for people. Also give lessons.

Anyway, it's hard for photographer to make a living in a single forte until they are well know.
Best of luck
Matt
Thanks for your reply. I did work at a high end dealership in Manhattan for a year, Manhattan Motorcars (Porsche, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Bentley, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce and Lotus) and that was a fun job but highly underpaid. I've used my connections from that place where a couple of guys have gone to other places like Mclaren and another Lambo dealer and nobody seems to need a photographer for some reason. I have thought about setting up a company and pitching services to dealer networks, it's quite the change though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Your work looks very good. On architecture, I wouldn’t look into it unless you are going to be more passionate about architecture than you are photography, and you’re also willing to do the 6 years of schooling you’ll likely be required to do for architecture.

Are you sure you’re looking hard enough for jobs? I’ve seen people with shittier photography skills and graphic design skills land jobs in decent places. Maybe you should use your skill set and cross into other related fields like graphic design and put some focus there.
I see a decent amount of jobs out there, I just recently had my resume written by a resume writer as I think my previous resume wasn't doing the job. I have been applying 24/7 after I got that back and I'm getting more worried by the minute with no responses. I've worked full-time with a company called Net-A-Porter and have done freelance e-commerce work for Amazon, Gilt Groupe, Intermix/Gap and have been trying to do freelance for Target (contact keeps pushing my start date off with them) and Bloomingdales. A lot of fake people in this business. I do have schooling in Graphic Design so that is an option, but will need to do another portfolio for that. Working on that aspect now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
launch a small company create a logo for it and start taking professional pics for people who wants to sell their houses.. real estate photography for mid and high end clients.. art direction, advertising.. if you believe you can do it worth trying..
I like this idea and may give it a shot also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEisbaer View Post
What yco said + have you checked with car dealers? A lot of the high-end dealers might be in need to hire a professional photographer for their inventory.

Adding to that, fabrication could give you a steady base-income after a while.
As I said to Schiller, I've done this route before but it didn't prove prosperous. Thank you for the responses however. One thing is for sure I am not going to give up on my work.

What I am planning to do is to shoot more beauty and do a rebrand of my website and try and get an Agent. I have a syndication agent but they only sell my images I've shot to magazines in Europe and abroad which doesn't help me since Editorials don't pay too well and it's sporadic. I need ad clients and big box brands and an agent would be that bridge to those clients. In the meantime though I need steady income as I'm broke as can be.
Appreciate 0