View Single Post
      04-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
This is a nutshell. I am not a Lawyer but was involved in a similar situation with a software company in the 80's but I was an employee. They patented my teams idea and we all got a dollar. Serious fact oh and our names on the patent until the patent ran out. My point is if it's not your company and you are not bringing the idea to the end market good luck. I'd settle for a nice job, big salary and bonus in trade for your idea, especially since as you say it's not a new idea.
Yeah most people do not realize that any ideas they develop while working for someone else is not your, all rights belong to the employer. This also goes for Universities, if where at school you come up with an idea which is somehow related to what you are studying at school they too have the rights to the ownership of the idea. Having you name on a patent may not bring you wealth while at that company, but having your name on a number of patents can surely help you get a much better position at another company.

Getting a $1 is kind of low since many company pay more, but they are required to pay you something if they do not then you might have case against the company on future royalties.
Appreciate 0