06-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #90
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I wish it were that easy but I don't see the same issue in other high torque cars even my 335i which was not designed for over 500lb ft of torque stays balanced and well behaved.

I've heard it's because of the rear sway bar being to tight and heard you can fix it with coilovers that delete the leaf spring. I am just one of those drivers that truely drives there cars, which I am sure you understand. I still want to drive the new one and have hope. I expect a full report from you on the Vette. Having owned the C63, M3, and now the C7 your feedback is great wanted. Also congrats on the new car.
That is a little bit of apples to oranges... the C7 has 465 ft. lbs torque (more torque at 1,000 RPM than a 911 does at peak) in a car that weighs 3,298 lbs. That isn't comparable to the 335i. The Corvette, even the C6, is a very balanced car and handles extremely well. No car with this level of power and weight is well behaved for inexperienced drivers. It doesn't matter how well behaved a car is once you put that kind of power to the wheels. I have a friend who races and instructs and he tells me his GT2 RS with its huge torque actually scares him even though he knows what he is doing. He won't turn the stability controls off

If the C7 performs as promised (time will tell), then it will be an incredible track car. It's a very different type of car than the M3 or the C63 as it likely won't as nice for DD usage and has far less practicality but it is much more track oriented. I also believe that the magnetic suspension (a newer version of what is used by Ferrari on the 458) gives the car a very high level of balance and lets the car with uneven pavement mid corner or during braking with relative ease. The result at VIR is a clear indicator of that given a car that is $56K as tested is lapping right between the 458 Italia and the Gallardo.

Either way, time will tell once people start getting their hands on the car for testing. Until then, even with GM's lap times, it is hard to know how the car will ultimately perform. I'm betting it will do a 7:29 to 7:35 at the 'Ring which would be stellar... and only a car that is balanced (handles well, brakes well and has usable power) would be able to pull off times like that.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0