View Single Post
      02-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #66
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJL Custom View Post
Tinkered in my spare time? Dude, I build, design and re-engineer transmissions. Its my profession. Youre the one talking about gear strength etc. When your manual breaks, don't give me a call to fix it properly.
"re-engineering" is what true engineers call tinkering. In all technological fields there are tinkerers/repairmen (including people who do this for a living) that disassemble and reassemble things. At best they understand how it is "supposed" to works sometimes with oem manuals but this does not even get close to comprehending a design degrees of freedom, margins, optimizations and mechanical stress design. That's the professional playing field of the design engineer that chose and created the design. Repairmen are of course valuable but when i quote the engineers for the module, anything a transmission rebuilt/repairman has to say on top is only background noise.

That said, you are right the wet clutch packs is the weak link not the gearing. A stock dct can overheat in a hot day if pushed continuously until the computer puts the car in limp mode.
Appreciate 0