View Single Post
      10-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #126
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
This is spot on. Spec racing and arrive and drive is the cheapest form of racing. Period. Having done bikes, f2000 (arrive and drive) and my E46M3 you can't beat the miata, FV, or SRF. Great advice. The statement of racing production cars is just that. At the end of the day they are old pieces of shit (e46M3) and require constant service and upgrades. Power to weight is shit, balance is shit, and they break constantly. Ask me how I know. I am in the process of an E90M3 build as I sold my E46M3 and here we go again. Love hate relationship.

So Spec racing is an option and a great one at that. The Miata guys put on a hell of a show and the front runners are FAST! Same with the SRF's.

There are many options for you with schools and racing, pick one and go. So true what you said on the track days and racing. HPDE's do not prepare you for w2w, a good racing school will. It is funny when I see guys/gals come from HPDE and into w2w they are initially overwhelmed, but if they stick with it, eventually they get competitive.
You got me thinking… Perhaps I should restate my original goal. Instead of a generalized statement of “I want to be a racecar driver”, maybe I should have said “I want to race old piece of shit BMWs” I particularly love E46 M3s. Aside from that, when considering which car to buy for my own racecar, I keep coming back to an E92 M3. To be completely honest, a huge part of what I am passionate about when it comes to this sport is the actual cars themselves that I am spending time driving, working on, staring at affectionately with little cartoon hearts in my eyes, etc. I honestly don’t know if I would derive the same joy from racing other types of cars, but I can’t say that with any certainty, as I have not tried. I’m definitely always open to new experiences and I always appreciate a fresh perspective that forces a paradigm shift in my own little world, so I will take all of your words of wisdom with me. I guess I just felt like I needed to clarify where I was coming from lol. And, I am having the time of my life doing HPDEs while I slowly, but progressively, learn how to handle my car in a track environment. This weekend at VIR only reinforced this
Appreciate 0