01-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #1843
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe. Stock no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
According to something YS posted earlier, the purpose of measuring eccentricity 10mm from the parting line was to avoid crush distortion. So I don't see this as an issue unless he changes his story and now calls everything crap.
Is it really necessary to try so hard to discredit at every single opportunity? It does you no favours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

Hmmm, so you want to rely on someone with whom you generally disagree on almost everything, and who has no known/validated credentials nor expertise (sorry YS, not trying to get a dig in at you, just calling it as per the information we have on hand) to insure that a pretty large/important and surprising set of measurements were not affected by a known (potentially) confounding part of the measurement technique (i.e. crush).
Not a problem but I can assure you I know how to measure very accurately. My credentials are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
No thoughts on whether or not eccentricity can be accurately measured on a bearing set when installed, removed, reinstalled then measured?
As a matter of interest, these sizes below were quoted earlier in the thread. Taken from new 702/703 bearings. This give almost the exact same eccentricity that RG has found on the assembled rod as listed in the second quote. This indicates that you can get a pretty good idea of eccentricity from just the shell.

The bearing tapers off even more toward the part line so any crush distortion is taken care of within this extra clearance.

Bear in mind, my sizes are radial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post

Measure the shell at 10mm from the parting line. The S65 is .0012" thinner there than at the 90 degrees point which is significantly more than the normal .0004" of regular shells.

This will effectively give a lot more eccentricity than a regular shell when installed in a rod no matter how you want to look at it.

If you are actually doing the measurements yourself, why can't you check it and report back
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
The bearing eccentricity changed from 0.00085 inch on the 088/089 bearings to 0.00200 inch on the 702/703 bearings. That's a 2.5 times increase in eccentricity clearance which will allow the oil to escape the rods that much better.

Last edited by Yellow Snow; 01-10-2014 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0