aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtracing View Post
I think you would have a different opinion if you were paying payments on a car that blew up and now needs a new $12, 000+ engine. all because bmw didn't engineer the bearing clearences to mahles sspecific clear to even a consumer specifications. not only that but this is the second generation of bearing failures in a Sxx engine. thr previous motor had a recall and everyone was happy. now this one vmw won't even goodwill. I think thats a little more serious then someone spilling some coffee on themselves. I usually would agree that americans are ridiculously sue happy but I think this is a justified occasion. unless you think BMW will just come out and pay without any one going after them? unfortunately I don't have the time money or knowledge to do so. as well I don't think my case would hold at all, being second owner. so I will just go back to rebuilding my motor to correct specs like bmw should have.
If your lease/higher purchase scheme extends beyond your warranty it is not BMW problem, and just because you're still making a repayment, doesn't make BMW obliged to replace your blown engine. Surely, BMW will assess case-by-case and if too much tinkering with the engine has been detected then BMW has every right to refuse even goodwill.

I am well out of warranty and if the engine blows I will raise it with BMW and if BMW rejects it based on findings and if I am happy with those I have to accept. If the car is bone stock then I will try and fight it to some extent given the mileage and other factors.

Nothing has been conclusive so far and we are all still in the dark as to the real cause behind some of the engine blow ups. It's not clear cut. Ask the experts - RG, Kawasaki, YN SFG ... unless I am missing something.

Some claims have be rejected by the dealer to make more through parts and labour. If it's done under warranty, the dealer will only get paid for the labour and that too the time specified by factory and KSD/TIS, not a minute over that. BMW allocated time in 5 minute increments. 5 minutes = one fru, so 12 fru for an hour's work.