View Single Post
      09-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So just to qualify my opinion, since my mid 20's, I've done a lot of 9-day and 16-day tours and have ridden from the East Coast to the Rockies 3 times, 2-up with my wife. Other tours have been to Nova Scotia, Florida to New Orleans back to Virginia, just to name a few. I've toured on a 1990 CBR 1000, 1994 Concours, and a lot on my trusty 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate. I've been riding motorcycles since I've been 13.

Going solo, as I suspect you are, helps not require a full-dress tourer. But age and riding shape will affect your comfort. 22 - 32 years old, heck, you can take anything you want. 40 years old you'll want a larger displacement bike. You'll want a full, waterproof, 3-bag lockable luggage system and a windscreen. Maryland to AZ is a long ride. Bike choice depends a lot on where you are going to ride (adventure tour vs. road vs. Interstate), and how many miles per day you intend to ride.

100 pounds of luggage? LOL. Like what? Take my advice and take half the clothes you think you need, take one day off and wash your clothes mid trip. Looking back on my road trips, even as a young man, I wish I had a full-dress tourer. You spend 99% of the time rolling, so weight doesn't matter much, and more mass means a larger, less stressed engine and a bike that handles road shock and vibration better. And remember this, the more cylinders the better.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-30-2020 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 3