View Single Post
      04-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Biggest bang for the buck is a catless x-pipe if you can find a used one for under $1000. Get one with resonators unless you are young and trying to attract attention.

A used pulley is also good bang for the buck. As is a drop in air filter.

Tunes add refinement and give you some options like a higher redline or a coldstart delete or a rear 02 readiness fix for catless operation, but don't add dramatic power. Typically, they add upper rpm power, in the range of 10 rwhp.

The only exception seems to be the meth tune that allows timing to be increased at lower rpm. It adds power across the rpm range and more than a non-meth tune. I think it has the potential to add 20 rwhp. The downside is that it costs twice as much as a non-meth tune.
I agree the catless X-pipe is the best bang for the buck on this car. That comes at the cost of the SES light and emission issues if you worry about that kind of stuff. A tune (whether it's Vishnu's Procede, ESS, Evolve, whatever) will clear the code and tune the car for the x-pipe or whatever other mods you add (it's not just simple math of adding one mod + another+ another). I live in El Paso where heat is definitely an issue. The meth keeps things nice and cool and I haven't started to lose any teeth or hair yet.

I went from 316 to 365 with catless X-pipe, Vishnu Procede, and meth. Since that dyno I changed up the back half of my exhaust from AE to AA signature to match my AA X pipe, RE accessory pulleys, and AFE Stage 2 intake.

Last edited by Longbow64; 04-29-2012 at 11:04 PM.