11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
You take a look at your insurance premium lately? If you're like most, haven't you wondered why your premium has increased 200% in 15 years while your income only increased 50%? Those are the national numbers.

Keeping people alive into their 70's after they've done so much do destroy their body is expensive.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm against all the nanny bs such as banning 32 oz soft drinks. People can make their own decisions. Me having to pay for it does get very frustrating though.

Drive like a maniac, pay more for auto insurance.
People who have a body fat of 60% should pay more for their insurance. Sadly, all of those who top the charts above 400 lbs that I've taken care of have been uninsured or on Medicaid. Every last one.

I'll get off my soap box now.

I'm on in the same mindset as Doc. I don't want the gov to govern our diets but when something like trans fat is used and the majority of the populace does not understand its harmful affects then I think the government should intervene in the marketplace to look out after the consumer.

If we had no interventions in the food supply chain we would be like Asia and be consuming non inspected food and encountering avian flue outbreaks every other month.

Some intervention is good as much as I am a libertarian when it comes to intervention.