View Single Post
      05-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

I had this done when they offered to do it for cars with a still active subscription. I had never used the associated services so i installed the bmw application on my smartphone and checked it out. I was stunned how useless this is, Basically all you can do is open/close your car from your smartphone if you ever accidentally lock the remote inside the car (which i read is nearly impossible anyway). And the application can open a google map to see where the car is but just to make this feature useless it only works if your smartphone is within a mile or less distance from your car. This is not a radio limitation but a software lock so that people cannot use this feature to locate their stolen car to replace a Lojack subscription fee. So basically, your smartphone location and your car locations are determined from the 3/4G network and/or GPS and then the bmw software decides *not* to give you your car location. I confirmed this when my car was at the dealer and i was home, did not work. Then there is the emergency call button function in the car. It's a raket to ask money for these gimmicky superficial features (Except for the emergency call) and it should be illegal for a company to have a non-optional feature on new cars disabled after a few years or extra payment required to continue the functionality. I guess bmw bet on the uselessness of these features for not getting sued for terminating them, they were right about that. It goes to show what kind of company they are.
Appreciate 0