08-31-2009, 03:39 AM   #96
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS View Post
Maybe your culture is very different than mine, but for me, whatever I read or heard, I tend to keep my reactions to myself, or share it with my wife, but never say anything positive or negative about them, on the other hand, I don't make my decisions based on anyone's thoughts but my own. I'm not trying to rally people to my course, just wanted to express my opinions, that's all, because I never take these kind of websites too seriously. If people agree with you, good for you, great accomplishment, but I like to get that rewarding feeling in real life, in what I do for a living.
OK, I will address the above comments but first why I wrote what I did and it all centres around your original comments about the Cayman.

Quote:
I test drove the Cayman S when it was released few years ago, though it carried the Porsche badge, it didn't impress me. I had more fun driving my 05 EVO than driving it.
I have nothing wrong with someone not finding it enjoyable, each to their own but clearly here you had some pre-opinion about the car simply because it carried a Porsche badge and somehow should mimic the behaviour of a 911 which given it's basic layout would be an impossibility and it's the much better car because of this.

Quote:
Another statement I can't live with is that, if a 911 pulled up next to me, that driver must be thinking this poor Asian can't afford an 911, thus went for the lesser model. To me, driving a Porsche means something unique, so anything less than a GT3 won't do it for me. At the end, you are driving a Porsche, why settle for something that a grandma can handle?
This comment again shows that what other people think of you means much more than the actual experience of driving, which does come across as being very shallow, sorry if that is not how you meant it be one can only comment on what they read.

Could a grandma handle the Cayman?

Yeah, but she could equally handle an M3, an EVO and a shit load of other cars, including a GT3.

What you should have said is the basic layout of the Cayman S is less of a challenge to me personally and I much prefer my experiences to be more raw like that of the GT3.

Saying this would not have created the amount of comments and head scratching that myself and others wondered by your original comments. Hopefully this explains why I seem-ably gave you such a hard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS
I'm sorry if I didn't express myself clear enough, I wasn't using drag racing to defend myself when it comes to determine if a car were drivers' car, it's just one of the things I do and happen to be good at it because I have great mentors, great partners, great crew. Bottom line is, I test drove Cayman S back in 05 when it was released, didn't like it, test drove my friend's father's Cayman S for an hour on twisties and highway, still didn't like it, posted my thoughts about it here, end of story.
BTW my comments on the Cayman being a better car than the 911 was directed to Mikewarlover as well as the comment about being in-experienced because everyone knows that the Cayman and 997 share a vast amount of both technology and parts and that the same development team signed off on both models.
Appreciate 0