View Single Post
      04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #90
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Mike, check out this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510885

As the owner of an M3 with iDrive, I can see how you might not know the details of the non-iDrive MDrive implementation.

In light of this, if what you say below about being able to have access to all three Power settings is true, then I would have to wonder how you could ever get back to Sport+ if you reprogrammed the button to Sport or Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
My pleasure.

You are correct here for the most part. The M setting is separate from the Power button. So if you opted for the M button to have Sport plus, you would have normal throttle (with everything off), sport with the power button on, and then sport plus with the M button. So theoretically you could have all three modes available, although sport plus is past the point of diminished returns. Some people like it though. The limitation of the iDrive cars is not necessarily losing functionality in terms of available options, it's more about losing the flexibility to change what the button does. Think of the programming for a non-iDrive car in terms of the M button mapping as being static instead of dynamic, although you should be able to pick the options that suit you for that static mapping.

Exactly. Not sure what you mean by holding down the M button to program it. To my knowledge, there is no "programming" it other than changing the settings in the iDrive for cars that are equipped, and changing the settings in the code statically for cars not equipped with iDrive. You will always have the option to use the buttons on the center console and those will be unaffected by the retrofit.
Appreciate 0