05-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
And IIRC the bolts should be replaced
You are correct. These are one-time use bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Great to know, thanks for posting the values.
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Could someone post the TIS? I need convincing these are really non-resuseable torque to yield bolts as opposed to bolts that just have a torque to angle spec for tightening. Not all torque to angle specs are torque to yield. I would also like the specs so I can measure to see if mine really need replacement.
I'd like to post the TIS pages but because of copyright issues I'll have to refrain. The TIS is just two pages long and addresses the removal and reinstallation of the reinforcement plate on the M3 (the TIS is REP-REP-RAE9231-3110010M). It simply states that (1) you release the screws (3 total) for the tranny cover; (2) release the screws for the plate itself (7 total). For installation, you "replace screws" with a torque of 31 10 3AZ. If you look up that torque specification, it provides:

Replace screws
Jointing torque 56 Nm
Torque angle 90 degrees.

I suspected that these were one time TTY bolts because that's how they are on the E46 M3. When I installed headers on my E46, I researched the issue and also found that TIS indicated TTY bolts that were one-time use.

Many people don't even bother replacing the bolts but because I'm a stickler for doing things as required by the repair literature, I replace my bolts and follow the proper torque sequence. I even purchased a gauge that gives me the exact torque angle.

Hope this is useful information.
Appreciate 0