View Single Post
      05-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm going to try to keep this short, I usually don't bother responding at all to all the crap about rod bearings anymore, there is enough info out there where if you wanted the correct info you could find it. I understand you are trying to drive traffic to your youtube channel, but nothing new was presented, some info is actually out of date and some of it is just wrong or doesn't make sense.

Of the 3 coated bearing options. OEM bearings plus the WPC treatment is the least preferred option since the 2 better options came to market, WPC was once preferred a few years ago but not anymore. It is treatment done to factory bearings and doesn't address clearance issues.

BE/VAC are the two most preferred options. Sounds like CIM is out of the loop on this one and haven't been keeping up to date on the options available for the S65, I'm sure they have a lot of experience but they seem more focused on Porsches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
Rick even said he will take the connecting rod completely out and measure each one to make sure the tolerance is the same across the complete engine.
Please explain how he will 'take the connection rod completely out and measure each one', that cannot be done with the engine still in the car and the heads still on, he'll have to remove the engine, remove the heads, remove the crank to get the piston and connecting rods out. Again this is why this explanation in the video doesn't make sense. He cannot measure clearance in these engines the way he is describing unless he plans on doing a full engine rebuild.

I'm sorry just because you are a Diffusion Engineer, doesn't mean you know how an S65 engine works. Same as your other claims.

Also not that it matters but I have never heard of CIM before, while you say they are recommended on these forums, perhaps it's because I am in FL and maybe that info is posted in the Northeast section and I just haven't come across it or it hasn't stood out, but I know that MRF, EAS, AA, Eurocharged, Autoculture to name a few, they are mentioned more frequently / recommended on the forum and they also share information here. I doubt I ever seen CIM post any info on their shop or shared bearings from M3s they've worked on. Only one of close shops are close to me but I've heard of the others and read the information they've shared on it, so they seem to be more well known online.

Goodluck with your bearings, i'm sure you will be fine.
But just know you didn't come up with some magic solution nor revealed any new info on the topic, in fact the information is out of date and some parts wrong.

Last edited by tdott; 05-02-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
blue-mw217.00
BOOF-M34451.50