07-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #73
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks! That clears up the left foot.

What about how far the club should come back in the backswing? For example, when driving. My recollection is the club should be parallel with the ground (horizontal) at the height of the backswing. Good rule of thumb, or no?
That is a good rule of thumb for a driver. The shorter the club, the less towards parallel it will be. Let's say parallel is around 3:00 O'Clock then a PW should be around 1:30 or so. As jamesinaz said, it depends on flexibility. Think of using a hammer. What drives the nail deeper into the board? A fast, flailing swing of the hammer or a controlled swing making absolute solid contact? The latter is what will transfer the most energy with a hammer. The golf swing is no different. Just a much larger fulcrum.

Of course I am in my later 50s so I cannot even sniff close to parallel with my driver. I am around 2:00 or so, maybe a smidge past that. However, I make pretty solid contact and can still send my drives respectfully down the fairway. Of course I am around 35-30yds shorter than I was at my longest (40-50yds with today's equipment). Then again at my longest I was gaming a persimmon driver and using Titleist Balata balls.
Appreciate 1
chassis6625.50