Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
Bob,

This is what I'm referring to:

"The data trace that Mizuno is proud to take me through suggests that Suzuki is being ridiculously modest. The peak lateral G figure is 1.4 - and the car averages 1.3G from corner to corner. The GTR hits 290kph twice on its way to that lap time."

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/index.html?vs=3

Now, I'm assuming Döttinger Höhe, which is the LONG straight on the back, is where that 290 kph (~180mph) would have been recorded. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize. Still, that's 12mph faster than the max speed Chris Harris was able to coax out of his GTR on the same section. I would guess driver skill has little to do with it on that long straight. You're basically going flat out. And if I call Harris's video narration correctly, he kept the pedal to the floor in the GT-R where that was one of several places he had to lift in the GT2.

EDIT: Further analysis of that graph shows that the first 290kph instance (Schwedenkreuz) was most likely a logging glitch due to the car getting airborn for an instant. The second one appears to be real so my point still stands.
I did discuss this telemetry with a fellow enthusiast and both of us had our reservations about this data, especially the two 290km/h peaks. The one on Döttinger Höhe is understandable as it's the sole place on the track that any of these cars could hope to reach such speeds but the other was just plain wrong, I don't happen to agree that the car going airborne would possibly give such a reading because their telemetry would have been far to advanced for such a method.

So if we believe the other reading is correct then Suzuki reached a peak speed of 12mph over what Chris reach. Is that possible with two stock cars showing such a variation, well the obvious answer is NO, though it's perfectly acceptable to see maybe 4~5mph when the speed is approaching these figures. Then there is the exit speed on to the straight, if Suzuki exited quicker which I believe he did then that speed difference would be carried the entire length of the straight but only if peak speed wasn't reached prior to this point and then there is the possibility of a different wind directions on these two separate runs, maybe Suzuki had a tail wind and Chris was running into a small head wind. I very much doubt DR were this anal as to test for such things.

So I ask, is it perfectly possible for two stock cars to show a difference of 12mph at around the 180mph point given different starting speeds on to the straight and a possible different wind conditions on the two days?

In my opinion the answer has to be YES.

Point is, you either believe that these manufacturers are telling the truth or you don't, because if you reckon one is at it then you better believe they are all at it.
Appreciate 0