PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantp View Post
I'm aware and do agree that in theory there should not be a break in period on hydrodynamic bearings. However with that said some recommend anywhere from 500-1000 miles of break in. My install shop, for example, recommended 500. I would rather err on the side of caution with this type of investment, take it easy for 500 miles, and perform a quick oil change than run any risk and maintain my newfound peace of mind.
It certainly doesn't harm anything to take it easy and do an early oil change (well, other than your wallet), but I think shops that recommend it are likely just saying that to cover themselves and are not basing it on any data or logic. My shop, which has been racing BMW's for many years and has done many S65 RB replacements, didn't say it was needed, and if the maker of the bearings says the same, that's good enough for me. I didn't end up following any break-in after my bearing change 2 years and 8K miles ago, and waited 4K+ miles before changing the oil. Oil came out clean and she's still running smooth (fingers crossed, LOL).

Incidentally, your bearings look a lot like mine did at 58K: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=684