Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Granted- Free Supercharger charging is free charging, but I can't imagine owning an EV without the vast majority of charging being done at home. For this reason the free public charging seems to me to have limited value.
We have people charging their cars at work instead of home.
I've heard this argument before, and even gave it some personal consideration since there was free public charge points about 300 yards from my (now former) office. I decided that it isn't realistic to have to rely on public charging that is only near your work.

First, what happens when you change jobs? Now I have to find a job I like, that compensates me well... and also have convenient Supercharger nearby? Good luck with that. Also, in my case that 300 yard walk could really suck if it's super cold, hot, or stormy. Otherwise my car is about 5 yards away from my desk. For my personal situation there was no comparison.

Also, when I don't go to the office I can't refuel my car? I have to make a special trip to a Supercharger and find something to do for the hour-plus it takes to refuel? That is what I'd call an unattractive burden especially when I can refuel my ICE in <10 minutes without even having get out of my car (NJ is full service only).

IMO an EV is difficult to justify unless it's an extra vehicle that you can charge at home... AND you have solar panels that make charging a very low cost affair. Otherwise it's a purchase of passion and not logic.