View Single Post
      04-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #47
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

OK, I tried out FZ-201s and here's what I learned.

My setup with stock suspension, camber plates at -2.8 up front, and track pads does 1.2g peaks on NT01s, and 1.4g peaks (maybe 1.5) on the 201s. I would rate my driving as mediocre, especially considering the amount of experience I have.

I was testing the 100 treadwear model and tire wear looked very promising. Definitely not a quick-wear tire like the supposedly 200-TW RE71. Time will tell.

I was running long sessions at VIR during an open track event and they did not fall off dramatically like so many tires I've tried on this car.

Air temps were low but the sun was high. Over the course of the day they got slower, pretty much on a normal profile.

Sidewalls are stiff, maybe stiffer than some slicks, and I felt and heard some chatter I wasn't used to hearing on NT01s, but it's useful feedback on the track condition.

They are not silent but they're not squealers. Very little drama between traction, slide, and release. These are best for drivers that have learned skid control as muscle memory if you want to push to the limits.

I'm not sure about pressures yet. They were not showing any strong preferences along the 36psi-41psi range, but I didn't have the right conditions to dial in a tighter number.

The fit of the 265/35/18 on 9.5 inch wheels is my idea of perfect. I think 9 would be great too. Taking it down to 8.5 is getting into the range of personal preference.

Some guys might try to drive these to the track but I'm not one of them. They have a DOT number on the sidewall but they say competition use only in LEO-bait fashion. There is some tread on them but not enough to save me from heavy rain hydroplane.

Amhad, next time we're at Summit together, you gotta try these on my E92. You have a better feel for tires than I do.

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 04-13-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
bigjae19761571.00