02-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #154
edlms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Relative to the 6MT shifter:

Just got a call from Rogue Engineering. I had enquired about a future SSK for the E92 M3. Rogue makes a very nice kit for the E46 and other cars.

Basically, he said he had driven it and BMW actually did a pretty nice job on this car, and they would not recommend shortening the throws further. If anything, he said it needed a taller lever, because the stock knob is too low. Coming from someone in the business to sell these kits, that says something.
hi... carrying over from a related thread.
imho, i feel that it's a little odd for Rogue to say something like that.

first gear requires me to extend my arm out a little too much for my liking (a little too far and too low, cos i'm a RHD) so a longer lever would require me to extend my arm out even more.

a shorter lever and/or knob would almost certainly reduce the reach/extension since a longer lever and/or knob would also increase the distance required for the top of the knob to travel, and i'm not sure if this is a good thing...

i agree that the stock shifter sits a little too low, but unless the entire centre consol/tunnel area can be raised (similar to the old Toyota MR2 which had a great height and feel), we're stuck with it.

thanks for the info and heads up.

cheers

Last edited by edlms; 02-29-2008 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0