Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
just a personal preference thing. Just like how I chose a manual transmission, yes these DTC transmissions are now many times faster then a manual, but there's just something about having complete control over everything that just makes it better. For some people.

The "complete control" part is where I think that I have the advantage in either Av or Tv modes. I think that I can spin the EV wheel on the back of my camera faster than the manual players can adjust aperture and shutter. Of course, you could chose to keep two out of three parameters constant and then change one parameter with the top wheel. In Av mode, I use the top wheel to select aperture and then control the over/under exposure with the back wheel. There are days when that back wheel is spinning on every few shots.

I DO set up my camera as if I'm going to shoot manual. For instance, my ISO moves in whole steps; therefore, it easy for me to calculate the EV change caused by moving my ISO one stop.

I'm old, old, old and learned photography when most of us didn't even own a meter, so I started with sunny-16 and adjusted from there. Having a fast, accurate meter right in the camera is such a delight to me that I don't miss the manual days at all.

BTW, as you know, I have a 6-speed, but I don't think we can argue anymore that we have more complete control than those driving a DCT in manual mode. That is one hell of a transmission and I occasionally wish I had it (like when I go against the rev limiter for a second or so avoiding a shift that I would have made with a DCT).

I think what I like about 6MT is honing and maintaining a skill at a high level that's getting rarer and rarer. It's a point of personal pride and not so much a superior performance.

Dave