Thread: Hip Replacement
View Single Post
      02-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

That is a pretty open-ended question....As an Orthopaedic Surgeon myself, I could give you some very general or very specific answers to questions that you may have, but what you really need is a visit with the surgeon.
In general:
1.) Very common, very safe, very effective operation
2.) OPTIONAL surgery. We are not trying to save your life, but trying to increase your quality of life. YOU DON"T HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY, it is your choice.
3.) You must be comfortable with everything...the surgeon, the procedure, the facility...etc. If you don't like it, don't do it. Go elsewhere. There are hundreds of qualified surgeons out there.
4.) Find a qualified surgeon! There are hundreds of butchers out there. Just like plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, etc....there are good ones and there are bad ones, you do have a choice. The more the surgeon does, the better they tend to be at that operation.
5.) You are already doing the right thing, asking questions and getting informed. You don't have to know everything about the procedure, the indications, etc, but you should feel comfortable (catching a trend here?). On the other side, it is possible to be too wrapped up in it, to over analyze the process and try to micromanage, but that patient is fairly rare.