View Single Post
      10-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #79
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered the OP's question re: putting the car on stands with one jack, and I can't endure reading the whole thing to find out. I was messing around with my car today, as I'm going to need to get it on stands soon for some track prep. Turns out to be a piece of cake, assuming you don't require the luxury of air, hydraulic, or electric power to do everything for you. I have four low ramps that are made from two pieces of 2X12 boards each, so they are a bit less that 4" tall. I drove the car on those. At that point, there is clearance to reach the front center jack plate, thus enabling jacking the front and placing the two front stands at each front side jacking point. Then, I discovered there is room to reach the frame in the rear, just rear of the differential. You have to raise the jack past the bottom, finned portion of the diff, then ease the jack forward a bit, as the differential housing dips in at that point. Then, you can raise the jack saddle high enough to center it under the frame rail, just to the rear of the differential. Then jack the rear centrally and place the two rear stands. The jack will be well extended to reach, so you might want to use a solid wood block or such to take up some space. Just remember, first, either raise the front and place on stands, or, have the front tires securely chocked before raising the rear.

Last edited by elh0102; 10-31-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0