View Single Post
      12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #1582
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
So two years after starting this thread, it appears we finally have the fully baked solution that we've all been waiting for! Are there any remaining downsides or differences between the Carsara box and factory ACP? I think it may be time for me to pull the trigger...

Sorry if I missed it, but did you notice any difference between the cameras you have tried?
Yes, I tried 4 cameras. The cheapest one I got off Amazon seemed to have issues with power fluctuation. It produced flicker/scan lines even testing it on a bench 12v power supply. I got a $65 720p one off Amazon that had good quality, but was expensive. If you didn't want to wait for shipping, I'd recommend this one. It has a small connector too, so it's easier to route through the trunk rubber shroud into the car.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3NV68D..._w96XFb5646SEW

I then wound up getting another one off Amazon but it was a 120deg FOV. I used it for a few days then swapped it for a 170 fisheye (my 2/yo loves leaving toys in the driveway so the extra range helped).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...380b4c4dZL2lFp

This China cam Option D was the one I ended up using. It was the cheapest option (~$28) the only downside is it uses a full size RCA for connection. This meant it took a bit of vaseline and a good fish wire to pull it through the rubber shroud. It wasn't too bad, I just had to do it very slowly where I moved it up a tiny bit at a time, then slowly pulled the rubber housing over it. The narrow connector on the $65 cam probably would've slipped right through.

Image quality is good though and had no other issues. By the time I returned and resold the other cameras I got it wound up costing me like $45, but it was a direct swap that didn't require rewiring.

Image quality from the final cam.
Name:  IMG_5574.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  437.9 KB