United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I have no idea why you're quoting 0-60 times. This is the track subforum, not the drag racing one.

That American car manufacturers are now selling cars with 305 PSC2 tires up front, which is nice to generate big numbers and good Lightning Lap times. In the real world though the only thing that's happened is they've put the set of wheels BMW owners would use in track days onto their cars stock.
So in a track setting, the GTS is not going to run the tires it used in a Lightning Lap. Meanwhile on the street it will have regular, nicely dimensioned tires instead of 305 width stupidities which make you tramline on every single road

In terms of the GT350 with 'carbon fiber wheels', I could not care less. So if a GTS is really slow but it has a carbon hood and carbon wheels how is that relevant? The GTS has a carbon hood, composite trunk. Who cares? I care about the result, not the excel spreadsheet with the data.

American car manufacturers have to stop 'checking the box' with dry sump oil systems that allow oil starvation at the track, with flat plane engines that are heaps of cow manure and consume oil like two stroke engines and blow up on their own and with cars that have diff and tranny oil coolers but still overheat using stock tires and instead properly engineer their cars.

Although the GT350R is an ally in the battle against Porsches I would not expect one to be faster than a M3 CS, forget about a GTS.

Lastly, I will pray to the Car God tonight that BMW does not read your post, because I would be pretty disappointed if they make the next M3 with a complete piece of shit engine like the GT350 has, that consumes quart after quart of oil the way a desert sucks up water and blows up left right and center.
The only two figures we have on the new Corvette is the 0-60 time of 3 seconds and 495 HP. Both of those figures are better than the M4 GTS - a car that costs over $130k. The 2020 base model M4 has less power and a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds. I don't know of any non-electric cars at this performance level where the acceleration significantly drops off after 60 MPH, so I'm safely assuming the Corvette is quicker to 120 MPH as well. That's why it's relevant to this forum. I'm assuming that the new Corvette will be quicker than the GT350R.

The lightweight carbon fiber wheels on the base GT350R package shows the value over an M4. If the wheels were available on the M4 GTS, I'm sure BMW would try to charge 10k more and everyone would think they were amazing. By looking only at price points, the GT350R should be competing with the base M4, but it's not competing - it's destroying it. It's even quicker than an M4 GTS on many tracks, except the Nurburgring. A few lap times here. The fact that the GT350R has worse 0-60 and 0-100 times than the M4 GTS further demonstrates its better handling.

As far as the cooling related and oil consumption issues, I think that was mostly a GT350 (even cheaper than an M4) rather than a GT350R problem. BMWs are no stranger to either of the issues. But at least I haven't heard the Mustang engine consuming rod bearings so that's a plus for it.

In terms of performance and value for money, you'll go much further with the Corvette and Mustang. The money saved over an M4 base model will certainly cover all the oil the engine will consume.

I don't understand your dislike of Porsches, but I can appreciate when something I don't necessarily like does well. I've had no interest in Mustangs or Corvettes but they are delivering compelling offerings. So compelling that they make the M3/M4 look like a mid-field also ran from which we should collectively move on. There was an episode of the Grand Tour where they made the statement that the biggest problem with the new high performance, handling oriented American cars is their price - it's so low compared to the European that it makes us think that they must be worse for some reason.
Appreciate 0