View Single Post
      07-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I’ve driven some coupes and actually had an Interlagos Blue one in for a PPI when my E90M showed up for sale. Had that not happened, I was full and ready to pull the trigger on the low mileage Z4MC. I had been searching for the E90 spec for about three years and it somehow popped up when I reached give up status. Odd timing.

That said, I have never driven the roadster. Cost removed (which I feel the Z4MR may be the better deal), does the S2000 or the Bimmer get your money? Obviously we see which one actually did but if you were to do it all over again.
Well that's the funny part. The Z4MR and S2000 are roughly the same price wise (unless I understood your question wrong). Mine had 89k miles when I bought it, so it is higher miles, but I only paid $17k for it. I've seen even them cheaper now with a clean Carfax. Mint ones are going for low 20s, while people are asking the same for their beat up E46 M3's.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat to be honest with you. I honestly think the Z4M Roadster is the best bargain in the BMW M lineup at current prices. It's actually one of the cheapest ways to get into an S54 powered car, about 3000 units world wide, all the traits of a classic (NA, 6MT only, hydraulic power steering). I absolutely love the fact that it's a 1 trick pony. Doesn't try to be comfortable, doesn't try to be fuel efficient, doesn't try to be practical. It's literally just a toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Having owned both, at my current age, I would buy a Z4M over the S2000. I loved both cars but I owned them at different stages of my life and I think I did it right. I had the S2000 in my 20s. It's that kind of car, especially modified. The Z4M, while it's no "mature" car, it's a little more sophisticated and an upgrade in just about every way (except for the trans) stock for stock.

If I had to do it all over again there is no question I would supercharge my Z4M, have a subtle drop in the ride height, and a mild exhaust.

I had a roadster which can be had at a lower price. There are a lot of coupe snobs around but let's get real, most of us will never drive the car at 10/10ths to truly see the ill effects of the roadster chassis rigidity and small amount of weight from the soft top mechanism. I think the coupe looks great but it pales in comparison to a roadster with the top down not to mention the driving experience which the coupe can not touch. Before kids, my wife and I took it to the beach several times and cruising with the top down on warm nights with the sea breeze were some of our most fond memories with the car.
Couldn't agree more. As a mater of fact, I have the exact same combo. I've never had a chance to take the Roadster to the beach yet, but driving it on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Fall when all the leaves were turning is still one of my favorite automotive experience. Funnily enough, I picked up the car from Ohio.

If it's within the same price as a Coupe, I think I'd still pick the Roadster. No different than the fact I'd rather have a 718 Spyder than the GT4 now.

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0