View Single Post
      12-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #92
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
The s63 engine puts out 500 foot pounds of torque from 1500 to 5650 rpm. The horsepower peak is at 6000 rpm. I'm reasonably certain that number will go north in the M5.
OK, but I never factor HP to any discussion on engine power as it's meaningless to power delivery as the rate of acceleration follows the torque curve and the torque curve alone. What's more relevant is the torque curve itself from roughly 2,000 rpms to redline. I don't like the feel of diminishing power...it's not fun. I'm also not impressed with high peak engine numbers knowing selected gearing won't allow much more acceleration force to the ground than the current M3 with far less (and far more usable and manageable) engine torque.

I'm reasonably certain the M5 will be the same motor as is. BMW seem to be minimizing variation these days. They've also figured out peak numbers can dupe the public into thinking these engines are more powerful than their best NA efforts. This board proves that.