View Single Post
      05-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #54
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I had my e90 M3 palladium silver swapped for black only because I wanted rear fold seats and it's impossible to find folding seats in that color for the e90. I was lucky that marco44 had a full interior in black for sale off a car he was parting out and he would do the swap for me while I kind of sort of helped/hung out. The advantage of doing this locally with a car being parted out was I don't have to deal with freight shipping and any bolts, nuts, tabs, brackets, wiring, whatever was there on the car so I didn't have to hunt down all the misc parts except four tabs that were on the donor car that couldn't be removed. Good news was BMW parts department had them for $0.44

The old palladium seats were in great condition and I am sad to see them go (up for sale in interior forum section) but, I am very glad to have the additional utility of rear fold seats! Other advantages are that black is easier to keep clean, looks classier, and meaner at the same time.

From this

To gutting it out

To this

The black seats are also heated while my silver seats were not. However for whatever reason when tested with an HVAC with the correct buttons only the driver seat worked. We tested another passenger seat and it still didn't work so at this point I think a fuse or coding issue or even batter as the car was complaining about low battery. Currently waiting for an HVAC with heated seat buttons to get to me before I sort this out

An oh shit moment was that the car was complaining there was an airbag/restraint issue with the passenger seat at some point during the swapping of seats to trouble shoot the heated seat issue. I used bimmerlink to app over OBD to read and clear the codes and everything was fine no more error. Either we got slopped and turned the car on when we didn't have everything wired correctly, or the battery was just low, or we should have never had the battery connected in the first place while doing this. Anyway for anyone else who sees this error when doing a swap the error will NOT go away when the problem is fixed. The code is stored and the car will complain until the error is cleared.
Appreciate 2