09-26-2019, 03:04 AM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325jay View Post
I had this issue for about 8 months. I bought a second hand box because everyone said that's what it needed but I'm the sort of guy that would rather find the exact part that needed changing instead of changing the whole gearbox.

One of the things I tried was the gts software. Since doing that it seemed to change the problem. The box wanted to change down to second gear at 45mph. My mate plugged his computer into the car and noticed the left rear wheel speed sensor wasn't picking up direction till 45 mph and it read it as going backward. Bare in mind I have had each wheel speed sensor go and had changed all 4 I didn't expect to have a problem. This didn't throw up any codes or any dash warnings.

I changed the sensor AGAIN and the box has been fine since. I had another guy message me about having the same problem and the WSS turned out to be the problem.

So. Plug a computer in and see what your wheel speed sensor are saying.
Hope this helps
Hi Jay (if still around), the speed sensor theory sounds clever. Had the mal function (together with 5A53) coming a couple of times last Autumn, gone since. Came back this week. No hard nor long driving, just out of the blue. Had the box replaced with a new 25k miles ago, very tiny leak but nothing that could empty the box.

The speed sensor theory is very interesting, and might explain some other strange behaviour as well. For a sad bloke with nothing than the Carly app, how would one measure the sensors actual speed and direction?

Thanks

Last edited by Helmsman; 09-26-2019 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0