View Single Post
      02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
imstimpy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstimpy View Post
You hit the nail on the head. No Check Engine light any longer. Regardless of the readiness states, a car cannot pass emissions if the Check Engine light does not illuminate upon startup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDPS
Check 1 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Symbol check
This is considered the bulb check portion of the test. The light must come on when the ignition is turned to the ON position and the light must go OFF when the engine is started. The inspector answers these two bulb check questions as either a PASS or FAIL. If the light is not working, the vehicle will FAIL the test, because the purpose of the light is to alert the driver of the vehicle that there is a problem with the OBDII system (exceeding emissions) and the vehicle needs to be diagnosed and repaired.
My mistake. The big yellow engine picture does not illuminate. However, the small SERVICE ENGINE SOON light does illuminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
In Texas, you're allow to have 1 of the 3 sensors show as "Not ready" and still pass. I've done it the past 2 years as I was battling some Procede issues that repeatedly triggered the "Increased Emissions!" warning. I reset the OBDII readiness (disconnected the battery for a bit) completed the drive cycle up to the point where the 02 sensors were shown as "Not ready", took the car in, and passed. I can scan a copy of the pass cert. if you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDPS
In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready.
Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For the BMW N54/N55, tuners disable the rear O2 sensor to prevent the cat inefficiency code. That might be the same for the S65 but I'm less familiar with those. So long as all other systems are functioning, you could pass emissions with the single Catalyst monitor as NOT READY. My car is showing two, I'm assuming one readiness check for the front O2 sensor and one readiness check for the rear O2 sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Is there any reason outside of principle that you can't remove the tune, go through the drive cycle and pass, and then re-install the tune?
A factory tune is not going to run a vehicle with larger injectors. One could disconnect the supercharger belt, swap injectors, and restore the factory calibration once per year but my God that is a lot of work.
Appreciate 0