View Single Post
      03-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #19
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcuzem3 View Post
Liquid glass is by far the best polish I have used. Having managed a service/detail department, we have experimented many different types of polishes (we do not use wax because the long-term negative effect it has on paint such as fading in Florida sun). Liquid Glass provided the easiest application and take off, protection and shine, and smells great
Indeed Liquid Glass has been around forever and it is still sold in the same packaging today as it came in 25+ years. It is a synthetic (contains no wax) and I was introduced to it in 1985 when I was a young lad just starting to learn how to detail.

I still use it today on the face/barrels of the wheels on all my cars as well as the paint on my winter runner (Silver Xterra).

It has some good attributes: it is a true rust inhibitor, can be applied in direct sun, will not buildup or lift like wax can, adheres to the clear coat, does do minor paint/clear coat cleaning when applied, can be applied and removed with a machine, will last for quite a long time (8+ months) with a proper application even through salty roads and when exposed to the regular elements.

It does have some drawbacks: it can leave streaks in dark colors like black, will not hide any surface scratches unlike a good wax that has carnauba, will leave residue on rubber and black plastic, and will have you working overtime to get residue left in body seams if you are too liberal with the application.

It is not as permanent as the instruction on the back would imply "for paint prep use mineral sprits and 0000 Grit Sand Paper to remove"
Even though it does bond to the clear coat it is not like OptiCoat and while it offers less protection, it does not seal in imperfections if not applied correctly.

Basically there are products out there that with more prep and application time will produce a better shine/depth and so for most of my cars I do not use it on the paint.
However, for my daily/winter driver that I really do not want to spend the time on, the results are outstanding. And no regular wheel wax that I have tried will hold a candle to it in terms of protection and shine for clear coated alloy wheels.
Nissan Xterra 2002 (Illinois + Winter = SUV)
Appreciate 1