United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoor View Post
My wife and I had to look into this a few years back and were quite at how liberal the law for us is in the semi rural burbs of CO. We were advised that a dog approaching us of leash with ours on could be shot without legal challenge or risk so long as we sere on public property or our own and executed the shooting under public safe conditions. Same went for the owner should they become a threat to us and getting law enforcement assistance wasn’t possible in time. This was much more extreme than we were comfortable with so we elected pepper spray, an air horn, or a walking stick.

We have currently and have always had Dobermans (always from rescue) so the issue wasn’t risk to our dogs and instead was for the attacking one. On one occasion one of our males intercepted a dog preparing to attack a female of ours who was still recovering from surgery. Ours were on leash the attacking dog wasn’t. Our male got the other dog by the throat and kept his jaw locked on it for five minutes or so, we could not pry it open. He would have ripped it out had i not held them both until the other dogs owner showed up. He only released after the other dog was leashed.

Next incident. A Bull Mastiff charges from a door at us and two our males on leash in the street. One of them removes the mastiffs ear and shreds it’s jowls while our male other shreds it’s flank. This damage was done in less than 5 seconds and the mastiff out maneuvered me to get to our dogs. Mastiffs owner was ticketed. After this we started carrying pepper spray.

Next incident we are approached under similar circumstances by a GS dog. This time I spritz it with pepper spray. Owner shows up, I give instructions on how to neutralize the spray and am told if he sees my dogs loose he will kill them. I phone police and press charges. He now has a restraining order and menacing charge on his record, lost his job from the type of charge, and had to move to more affordable housing.

I, like Lups, know my way around dogs and am even asked to do temperament testing for pre adoption. I have also had three Schutzhund titled Dobes. I learned my way around dogs from my mother who trained guard and attack dogs for multiple police departments and the US Air Force. ALL this to finally say the OPs questions a valid and really indicates their intent to be a responsible pet owner.
You seem to have a lot of incidents with other dogs. I never had an incident walking my border collie. He has had some dog park incidents, but nothing that wan't cleared up quickly.
Appreciate 0