03-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #107
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
For fun, let's assume someone comes up with never before seens type of combustion engine. Maybe it has variable displacement, HCCI, and an electromagnetic valvetrain. This engine, however, still has pistons (i.e. its not rotary, or turbine) and furthermore these pistons are arranged in a V. We'll call the engine ATCE (Advanced Technology Combustion Engine).

Using that hypothetical, here's my best attempt at analogy to our debate, using engines:
I don't think you have pushed the analogy far enough nor quite correctly. You did mold it perfectly to make your desired point though .

Both engines in your example are absolutely gasoline ICEs. That is "evolution" in my evaluation. Continuing with the engine analogy a DCT is somewhat more like a hybrid in that it is 2 transmissions running in parallel. Sure not a perfect analogy since a typical hybrid uses an ICE and an electric motor say rather than 2 ICEs. Nonetheless, still 2 engines in parallel. What do we (all of us) say powers such vehicle - we just call an apple and apple and say "hybrid"! Both the drive and the drivetrain are specialized enough that they very appropriately deserve and get their own terms. Doing otherwise does a disservice to all, hyper-milers, eco trendy soccer moms or tech inclined early adopters alike.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0