03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #103
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Person A: Boy, that new ATCE is a great V6, eg?
Person B: Yep, it's awesome. It's not a V6 though. It's an ATCE.
Person A: Well, yeah, ok sure, but it is still a V6 though. There are six pistons and they are arranged in a V shape.
Person B: Yeah, but this thing is amazing! It uses HCCI, so its sort of like a diesel, but it burns gasoline instead. Very efficient. And no cam shafts either. You can't really group it in with today's V6 engines.
Person A: Sure you can. Just because it offers a new design doesn't mean it can't be grouped in with previous technolgy. Otherwise we'd have to brake out all other engines based on different tech too - like direct injection, overhead cams vs. pushrods, etc.
Person B: No because this is new and to gloss over all the advancements would be to miss the whole point of the engine.
Person A: V6 engines have come a long way too, you know. What about all those advancements over the years?
Person B: We still have to call this an ATCE.
Person A: Then we can today's direct injected V6 something else too, maybe a GDI-DOHC.

...etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I still say it is not practically possible using the current I6 architecture. And to come up with a new architecture now - unless it were to be the start of a new family to be used across all BMWs - makes no sense for a car that needs to hit the expected price point.
That is good news for me. I am still one of the few that thinks the next M3 F32 will be special and M3 badge worthy, and will not just get a 1 Series M E82 treatment.
Appreciate 0