05-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #79
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
[Update 2]
Today was a second track day out of three.
Yesterday I confirmed that my sway bar settings are good and discovered that I was adjusting my rebound the "wrong" direction

Today was non stop rain day and few showed up. I had to change my tires to the cheap "closeout" tires I bought from Tire Rack. The tire shop opens at 8 and I was not first on line.

I was able to get to the track to catch the 11am session. nobody showed up because of the forecast. so the Motorcycle guys got 30 min, and us car guys got 30 minutes on the hour. Then at 2pm NYST unleashed us to the track until basically I ran out of gas. Getting the option to run open session on the track is my dream come true. I can try what ever I feel like without running out of time.

My goal for this rainy day was to run on MDM and not activate traction control. My rear rebound was on 1 and the front was dialed back to 3 compare to 4 yesterday's last session.

I run gazillion laps on 2:03 and toward the end ventured into 1:59 with out activating the MDM.

It was a divine experience. Since I am coming off 10 years of riding a Ducati on track days, doing a track day in the rain in a car was just as fun as in the dry. Unlike motorcycles.

The biggest revelation was actually driving home. My main reason to buy JRZ 4-way was the separation between High Speed dumping (a bump in the road) and Low Speed damping (transition left/right and a wave like surface.

NyST is pretty smooth so my dumping (HS) is set to pretty soft and jumping off curbs seems to be fine on a low settings of 3 or 4 out of 14.

So far the LS dumping was set to 10 then 9 then 8.

Unlike the HS dumping the LS starts high (10) for less effective and becomes more effective going down (1)

I was driving home and was thinking, the low transition left and right needs some dumping.

So I stopped by the side of the road and changed the front from 8 to 7. This had the effect of pushing the EDC to sport from normal.

Hmm, that has potential.

So tomorrow I am going to start the day as is with LS set to 7 front and 8 rear and will see how it feels.
I am no suspension expert but I typically run about 2x more rebound than compression. So typically 6 clicks (from full soft) compression and 12 clicks rebound and then usually a bit more on both. I run MCS 2WNR.

So your rebound settings seem underdamped to me.
Appreciate 0