View Single Post
      01-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #83
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I ordered and custom built the E92 in 2012, taking delivery May 2013.

I heard the next M would have a turd-ocharged engine and didn't want one. I also wanted to own the last ///M engine in history.

In the end BMW did what everyone feared and did make a turbo engine. As expected, no matter how good BMW is at making engines -and they are very good- they cannot fix the issues Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche have not been able to fix either, namely:
-turbolag
-vacuum cleaner sound
-incredibly boring power range best suited to 83 year old librarians

As expected the new M is also faster and more fuel efficient when driven like said librarian.

I consider getting the new M as an additional car for the track or to keep the miles off the E92, but never, *ever* to replace it. I was seriously planning on getting one for the track until EVO car rated it badly and I realized the ///Marketing decision of making stupid fixed headrest front seats meant no Quikfit harnesses, which means no Hans device unless you weld a cage into the car...

Every M generation fixes some things and breaks others. The F8X generation has broken most of the things I enjoy daily driving M cars, which is response and wonderful sound, having an engine that is engineered to go into a dedicated performance car and which is sold in a regular car's body.

In the end there are some M enthusiasts whose dream car is a GT-R or Porsche Turbo. Others set their sights at a GT3 because they understand real engineering goes into NA engines, not turbos.
I am firmly in the GT3 camp. I would not want a 911 Turbo for anything, other than selling it and buying a GT3.
I have driven a 650hp GT-R. Almost fell asleep. The vacuum cleaner drone sound and crappy response ensure I will never have one of those.

Lastly, it does not seem the motoring press is very enthused. The F10 M5 already got bad reviews due to the boring engine and the new M3 has not had good ones either. EVO car recently rated it one point in front of a true piece of shit, the Audi S1. And at around 1/5 of the points of another piece of crap, the Golf R.
If an M does not get higher points than front wheel drive based hot hatches well BMW, you have a problem.

Interestingly it seems like BMW has caught the attention of a whole different crowd with the new M cars. The crowd which loves torque because they lack the ability to shift and do not understand the driveability at the limit will be hurt by so much of it, the ones happy with 5000rpm peak horsepower in midly tuned cars, the ones who ohh and ahh at fixed headrest seats and never think about the lack of Hans devices for track use because the closest they get to a track is a Forza 4 game.

I could go on and on...
Great...continue to read Evo and TopGear magazine, listen to all the reviews from all the pundits and form your decision based upon that. Great way to "experience" a car. Please move on....Rennlist is this way >>>>>>>>..just don't venture into the GT2 or Turbo section for godsake.
Appreciate 0