View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Wishes47
Rep
Drives: 328xi (2008)

At BMW now, trying to charge me $1800 for a valve cover gasket

Hello All,

Brought my car in for the PCV Valve Heater & Blower Motor Wiring recall. I told them that I have been having with the car randomly shutting off when I slow down to stop. Not gonna give the whole history of that problem, because I've already done a post about that. But the bottom line is they said that I need a new valve cover gasket, which I already knew, and also another venos solenoid, which is what's causing it to shut off. Total cost for all is $3300, not to mention the ridiculous $175 diagnostic fee!

Before I rant about BMW's criminal prices, I am just curious if anyone has ever had any success in getting BMW to cover the valve cover gasket repair, with the understanding that the PCV issue can cause problems in this area? I've seen a lot of information online saying that a failing PCV will cause issues with the valve cover gasket, misfires and several other symptoms that I am having. I've also read discussions on here with conflicting opinions as to it is or is not related. As such, I do not feel comfortable making a fuss, unless I know that someone else was successful in arguing that their valve cover issues are related to the PCV.....or can give me enough expert advice to support an argument. Anyone?

As for BMW's thievery, my dad's mechanic replaced one of my vanos solenoids a few months ago for $120 and it literally took him less than 20 minutes once we got the part....I watched. While I know the bulk of that was labor, it wasn't $1500. I just called him about the valve cover gasket and he said he can do that for $260. Needless to say, I can't get to his shop fast enough. How BMW can charge the prices that they do is beyond logic.
Appreciate 0