View Single Post
      03-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #171
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I have only run R6, not A6. The TD was 2.5 seconds faster than R6 of the same size. TD's had noticeably better braking grip than R6. R6 glides nicer. When past the grip limit, TD's fights for grip very hard which can be unpleasant. I was always mildly curious to see what A6 felt like but never felt like dumping the cash on tires with such a short life span. As it is, R6's had a pretty short life in the high grip zone----after 6 heat cycles, you could feel them dropping off.

I have to say the R1S is an impressive tire. Even 15 heat cycles in, it still delivers solid grip and very good lap times. I was rolling 1:50.x at Buttonwillow 14 heat cycles in. At 15 heat cycles, the R6 has fallen way off if you can even get to 15 heat cycles at all without cording. The TD are drivable up to 25 heat cycles, but the grip has seriously fallen off by that point. The first 10 heat cycles of TD's are really nice. They're decent at 15. After that, they're just fun scrubs to go mess around with. (I'm running square so I am able to rotate around the car and get more life out of the rubber. I'm also a fan of flipping the rubber on the rims so that we can use those less abused inside edges on the outside.)

I really would like to try some fresh slicks. That would be fun. But I'm going to wait until after the summer and the weather cools down again to do that. I could use more time in the seat learning the new diff and driving DSC-off. I'm never in a hurry with these kinds of things. It's my hobby!

And hopefully by then, I'll have sorted out some solution to the DCT overheating so quickly, because slicks will just make that even worse.
That's good to hear about the heat cycle endurance. With the A7's I'm 4 seconds slower after about 10 heat cycles and they are completely shot after 12-15. Looks like I might have to pick up a set of these R1S's
Appreciate 0