03-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #162
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Yeah, the issue of overheating in an E9x M3 is definitely a challenging one. It seems that CSF has made some bold claims of having solutions that deal with the issue, but as you pointed out, okusa---who I know very well---hasn't seen any of the results he hoped for. That's a bummer…..so I am looking at other solutions than CSF.

The Yost car was built as an endurance car. That is quite a different approach than a time attack car that needs to be fast for one lap. I would say my car is setup with the idea of doing time attack. The Yost car is very light (400-500 lbs lighter than my car), it has a manual transmission (I have DCT) and the power of the car was purposefully kept within a certain range to keep heat down---meaning no S/C or stroker, etc. (I have S/C.)

The fact is that the stock M3 wasn't made at the factory for this kind of high stress hammering with a ton of aftermarket go-fast parts. The cooling it has is perfectly fine for the street and occasional track. Remember, my DCT didn't give me hardly any warnings in the last 4 years-----until I slapped full aero, super sticky R1S tires and started hammering with DSC-off. That's just a whole new level of stress on the car. Can any of us really say it's a surprise that a heavy car with a high revving 8-cylinder engine, with a supercharger, with full aero and almost-slick tires is overheating? I'm not surprised that it overheats. What I am surprised by though, is that no company has proven that they have an effective---and mostly importantly-----CLEARLY DOCUMENTED solution for it. This M3 is not the first car to be heavy and make a lot of heat. Isn't that pretty much the story for all American cars? I have been hoping that some company who has a long history of dealing with this in American cars like Mustangs or Camaros could provide us BMW guys with a solution. I have to assume that the E9x M3 platform will become a common racing platform someday. Somebody is going to have to come up with a workable solution for the overheating. Can you imagine a whole field of E9x M3's racing wheel-to-wheel taking cool down laps in the middle of a race because the cars can't handle it? "Ok fellas, laps 4, 8, 12 and 16 are cool-off laps. We'll put up Yellow flags for those laps. We'll hammer the rest!" I mean c'mon…….

The Swedish Do88 cooler looks interesting simply from the fact that it's so much larger than the stock cooler (almost double) and it sits in the stock spot. The SSP thing looks crazy. At $2200, that's just frightening. And like I said before, since I have a supercharger intercooler, where would I put the SSP one? And again, I'd like to see some documentation. Companies seem so quick to SAY it works……I want to SEE it working. This stuff is easy to document if you want to. SSP claims that their cooler keeps DCT temps down for 40 minute sessions, but I don't see any data…...Do88 shows some charts based on 11 minutes of hard driving. Plus, a forum member has talked about how the Do88 seems to be working and he has a temp gauge tapped into his DCT system. Perhaps, the Do88 might be a place to start……it costs more than the CSF cooler, but is half the price of the SSP. We'll see.
The Do88 is what I'm looking at too, I'm hoping you will Guinea pig it for us . I actually have felt sluggish shifts on certain tracks, so I know you can encounter it without too many heroic mods.
Appreciate 0