09-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #100
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
This kind of logic is accomplished and encouraged by people with no depth. Materialism and consumerist mentality with no understanding about how objects interface with our lives. OUR lives. These people forget that their grave won't hold their material objects.

People who truly love cars drive them and live their lives. People who loathe life store things and save them for a day which never arrives...

This foolish movement is running rampant throughout 1M owners currently. "It's too valuable to drive". It's like buying a full 10 course dinner at a world famous restaurant and deciding "it's too nice to eat". Meanwhile they will all sell their cars after owning them for years without even driving them...a fruitless exercise of being owned by a car instead of owning a car.

Modern car culture is deteriorating by the day. Between people buying cars for "ring times" vs. spending more on detailing supplies than gasoline and driving vs. people saving their $60k cars for 20 years to sell it for $90k because it has 2k miles after years of neglect. We shouldn't be celebrating this sort of odd materialist celibacy.
Excellent post. Recently while my E90 was down for a few months due to a deer hit, my Z4 when into full time DD duty (180-miles/day). I bought the Z4 in December 2014 with low miles for an 8-year old car at 23,000. The Z4 was bought to lightly fill in for the E90 when repairs were necessary, as was the case recently. I racked up 10,000 miles on the Z4 pretty quick, which was making my anus restrict a bit I have to say, but I kept reminding myself I actually bought the Z4 to drive it.

Trying to preserve an E39 M5 is a waste of time. And if you buy it with 500 miles on it for $150K then you are a dork. If the idea is that it was a favorite car at the time you couldn't afford it, then buying it now, way over-priced, to start driving it and really take a massive depreciation hit, is even more stupid IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00