10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #81
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post
hey Nawaaz, since your wife disapproves of the track (as most certainly shes never been out there), take your car autocrossing first to get a feel for what it is capable of. autocrossing is way cheaper, and a good starting point. speeds are much lower, and FAR safer then the track for a rookie. tracks are generally very safe, but there are incidents that happen out there because the speeds are much higher, and it takes a lot longer to slow down (especially when your in the dirt).

if your going to try a track day first, make sure you get an in car instructor. they will yell at you when you do bad stuff, and generally teach you the lay of the land and how to handle certain situations. i would never go out there your first time out without someone who knows what they are doing telling you what to do.

autocross you can do by yourself, just listen to the "walk through" and ask people who look like they know what they are doing if you can ride along and ask if they can give you any pointers or ride with you. generally find someone with a car similair to yours as their pointers will be much more to the point concerning how you need to control your car.

i started in autocross, did quite a few events, then took my 944 turbo out to the track in gingerman raceway in michigan. when i moved down here, i had my evo out autocrossing a bunch the first year and then began tracking it more and more. i don't autocross anymore but it was definately a good way to "work my way up".
Thank you for all of your invaluable advice Kev. I'll keep autocrossing in my mind for the near future. I'm sure that'll be the safest bet since I'd really, really, really hate to mess up at a higher level of driving.

Thanks again man, and I'll see you at your shop on November 9th to do all my installs. The 9th may work out better for me since the 6th is my wife's B-day. Wouldn't want to disappoint her, ya know.

Last edited by Nawaaz; 10-27-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0