View Single Post
      05-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #42
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
Has the zf8 improved throughout the years in terms of performance and shift speeds? My 2015 640i xdrive doesnt shift nowhere near as fast as the newer zf8's I drove in the 540i and 2019 x5's. Maybe its just the software on the TCU or is there mechanical changes that compliment the newer ZF8's. What bothers me is that my 09 135i with A XHP flashed stage 3 zf6 Shifts so smooth and so much quicker and aggressiver especially given that i only got 40k miles on my newly replaced zf6 Under CPO back in 2015 and I have replaced the fluid on it 2 times already to keep it mint. (i have flashed a few zf6's with xhp stage 3 and none felt compareably close to my 135i in shift speeds, they were literally half as fast as mely 135i) I felt that the 335i i tested out (model year 2014 ZF8) were also pretty quick, quicker than my 6.. maybe its due to the lack of power in the 640 therfore making the shifts feel A bit duller combined with a slightly tamer tcu flash...
I've experienced the ZF 8-speed tranny in the '12 328i, '16 340i, and now the '20 M340i.

There was definitely a big change in the speed and aggressiveness of shifts between the '12 328i and the '16 340i. When I first put my 340i in Sport mode, my first impression was exactly like that of the guy in the video: "wow, this thing can be mistaken for a dual clutch"... It really slammed through those gears fast and with authority, whereas the 328i felt like a typical slushbox, really nothing to write home about. Whether the difference was in hardware, software or both, I don't know, but the difference was there.

Now that I switched to the M340i, there's not a lot improvement in shift speed compared to the '16. There's some, especially in Sport+, but not that big of a change. I guess you can't improve on perfection
Appreciate 0