07-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Splitters need to be on the pavement to be truly effective. The pitch and angle don't matter near as much as focusing on whatever shape you can run that keeps air out from under the car. The front shape of most cars is a natural downforce generator if you can keep air out from under it. Production based racecars that have permissive splitter rules which allow them to run within an inch or so of the pavement fight the opposite problem if they are not allowed a wing - splitter induced ovah. Just a word of caution that a conservative splitter that still allows you to drive the car in the real world isn't doing a whole lot on track

I wish it was easy to test what effect louvering the front fenders on these cars would have. Very easy to execute with plastic fenders. It's so easy to add downforce to the rear and there aren't a lot of low hanging fruit for the front

canards are worth it (once again, one of the few things you can do at the front short of adding a gigantic wing on 5' tall pylons) but They do have a drag trade off though

Another thing that might be worthwhile and relatively possible without ruining the car is ducting the radiator up and out the hood. You would have to build an assymetric duct or ditch the upper rad support and would have to cant the rad forward, but it could be done. Custom hood obv. But right now half the front rad opening gets ducted through the oil cooler and straight out the bottom, lots of air there
makes sense. i'm just an occasional weekend warrior that likes to tinker with my car, so i'm not going to move the radiator for a hood vent just yet.

i don't have any plans to run spats or canards just yet... just thought i'd ask.

i'm happy with my turn-in at the moment. i think i'm at -3* camber up front and running square 275 nt01's. oem suspension. i just don't want this wing to ruin that.