View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Long story short, had a cheap dinner out. Split a pizza at a semi-nice Italian restaurant. Bill came to $19.44.

I literally only had 2 $20 bills with me. So I gave them to the waiter.

He brings back a $10 bill and 2 $5 bills, plus 2 quarters. I immediately think, "hmmm, is he expecting me to leave $5? I am a 20% tipper with good service, but it was marginal at best and I'm not feeling like $5 is in order. Now, we aren't talking a lot of money, but I felt either he was trying to get the bigger tip or he was a total rookie. Either way, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing his little plan worked. And if he didn't do it on purpose, maybe he won't do it again. Anyway, I left him the 50 cents and walked out.

Felt bad afterward. Maybe no tip would have been better than just the 50 cents? Or perhaps I should have just ponied up the $5?
Did you realize he STOLE 6 cents from you? You said he only returned $20 and 50 cents, but he owed you 56 cents, did you realize he SHORTED YOU? WHY did you tip him at ALL just for that, huh?

Also, it's *YOUR* RESPONSIBILITY to tell the server if you want one dollar bills. Sure the server could have asked, but they are just guessing what you want. I would have stiffed the server over the 6 cents they stole on PURPOSE, because they were TOO LAZY to get more change from the bar or bring more on them or even short themselves if they didn't have any nickles or a pennies.

$40 -19.44 = $20.56 He only gave you $20.50.
Appreciate 0