United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I told you not to drive the car on anything less than 93 when we spoke at Targa, I even told you what would happen if you did. I almost fell over when you told me you had even run 89 octane in it at one point. I recall seeing you blow by me a couple times on the Targa run and I was thinking to myself and mentioned to Larry who was with me that your motor was being put at major risk. That car was built and tuned to run 93+ octane fuel only by the previous owner who always ran race gas in it. Larry ran that car hard for many years on the track and street and never had any issues but that was because he knew he had to use high octane fuel at all times with his setup. If you get detonation due to poor fuel quality it can cause damage to rod bearings and lead to premature failure, this can happen very quickly. That car running 89/91 octane I can tell you was getting detonation at some point. Once a rod bearing is damaged it is just a matter of time before it gives. This is why we stress that customers always run the required octane rating in our supercharger kits. Larry told me that he stressed this to you before you purchased the car.

If you want to run high HP in CA on 91 octane you need to lower the CR of the motor or make sure you always have race gas in 100% of the time, no exceptions.
I always ran 93 in Texas. It started to blow a lil bit of smoke when I gassed it. I think something was worn out already. When I first drove the car in SD it already started making a slight ticking noise (with the 93 gas in).