View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #33
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 stick zcp [F30/zhp/E60]

Update -

Got the plug replaced @ Shade Tree Garage, one oft the reputed shops that also supports our local BMW CCA chapter. Great place and very professional!

From what I learnt from the tech who worked on my car:
- slightly surprised that coil had failed for a low mileage car but he has seen that happen.
- cannot tell by just viewing the coil (both of which btw look only mildly used) as sensors on top could have been the issue.
- checked the NGK plugs and said that its been pre-gapped and that its best to leave it the way it is.
- noticed a lot of debris/dirt where the coil goes and that he had cleanred it all out. That could have also played a role in this failure.
- if another coil goes, just replace the remaining 6.
- no issues of the oxygen sensor and car looks/run fantastic.

Delighted to drive the car back with its usual super power and smoothness.

So, i am going to check with my master-tech friend if he can check and clean out the other 7 and hopefully that will be all I need to do.

A minor thing I noticed when exiting the shop and when stopping @ the first few lights - a split second loss of power (as if car didn't have gas or was misfiring) when shifting at the low gears (1-2 and then 2-3). It happened a couple of times but then I entered the highway and didn't notice again even after exiting the highway and taking the local roads to home. Hoping that it was a temporary one at the initial stages because of the new coil. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0