Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRules! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
-Did you gap the plugs properly?
-Did you vacuumed out the plug area before unscrewing?
-How did the coil pack look coloring wise, (black or starting to grey)?
Great questions, thanks!

1. My master did not gap the plugs but both he and FCP Euro informed that we need not as its been pre-gapped for the 2011 M3. I am all for checking it again but not sure if one needs any special equipment. Do you know?

Or, if OEM plugs will be sure to be pre-gapped, I can buy those instead and replace all the sparks again. That could save the trouble of the coils going bad.

2. I don't think he vacummed the plug area, but will request him to do it this time when he changes the other coil.

3. Turning greyish if I remember right but I didn't look @ it close. Will check tonight and keep you posted.

Please let me know your thoughts on point 1 as I am about to place the order thru FCP Euro (delivery by Wed, and I can drop the car off with my master tech buddy on Thur so that he does the work patiently on Friday.)

Thanks a lot!!
You are correct that the plugs SHOULD come gapped. The plugs also have cardboard cylinders protecting the electrode from drops when they are packaged in their individual boxes. I still just measure and if necessary gap mine. I find that they are not always spot on. It's also easy for someone to mess up the gap if they feed the new plug that's in a socket into its tube and they bang the electrode on the thread wall. I am not implying your service vendor did this but these are easy fixes if applicable and you could do it yourself. Just make sure you have a proper torque wrench for the plug tightening. Stripping one would be catastrophic! Also cleaning the coils off is good practice and it makes future service scrutiny easier to diagnose. Also the M3 is not as delicate as some members will have you believe. Take care of your car and it will be just fine.