07-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #24
BimmerRules!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 stick zcp [F30/zhp/E60]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
If youve read any of the spark plug threads, many people have issues removing the coil as its tight fitting and if you pull hard enough you can damage the coil. Thats why there are specific coil pack pullers. This could be the issue, but Im not the type to blast ones friend or mechanic, just know this does happen time to time.
yup, i did read that big thread and in fact was going to attempt this on my one. But glad I deferred because in addition to getting those pullers (my friend is a former master tech and has the right equipment), my car has an aFe intake that was a slight pain to remove. I would have struggled a lot!

my friend felt bad when he found that the first coil error and reduced his labor cost because I was forced to get a new one at the dealer that day. So, that is why Ii trust him and it is a bummer that the second one failed.

Just got off the phone with FCP and they also said that it is a matter of time that the other coils fail and so better to consider replacing them all.

They were intrigued when I suggested why not replace the NGK spark plugs with the OEM and see if that fixes for the issue, and said that they could give me a refund of the NGK if that was indeed the case.

So, I am thinking of ordering a new OEM coil from ECS ($90) plus a full set of OEM sparks from FCP. And then after ensuring my tech friend does it properly including the vacuum, keep my fingers crossed.

Edit - two knowledgeable persons informed me that they are sure that the properly gapped spark plugs do not cause the coil to fail. So, I am going to follow what Scrippy suggested - double-check the gap of the existing ones and keep aside the plan to swap the NGK with OEMs for now. Ordered the OEM coil from ECS.

Last edited by BimmerRules!; 07-16-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50